The Atria Community Corner was launched in September 2017 in conjunction with World Alzheimer’s Month. It is a joint community initiative of the Atria Shopping Gallery (Atria) under its CSR programme and the Alzheimer’s Disease Foundation Malaysia (ADFM).
With this collaboration, Atria is aspiring to be the first dementia-friendly community mall in Malaysia aimed at:
• raising greater awareness of Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementia; and
• providing information and support to the neighbourhood communities around Damansara Jaya and its vicinity.
Located at Lot T03 on the Third Floor (two doors from Daiso), the Atria Community Corner is open daily from 11am to 7pm. All health, nutrition & wellbeing talks, activities and information leaflets provided at the Atria Community Corner are free.
April 2019 Activities
7, 14, 21 and 28 Apr 2019
|10.30am - 11.30am||
Weekly Elder Yoga Exercise
For Caregivers and Persons with Dementia, Senior Citizens and their families.
Regular yoga practice helps people of all age groups including the elderly. For the seniors, regular yoga practice can play an important part in keeping you healthy, because it helps to:
- reduce swelling in joints;
- increase joint mobility and strength;
- improve balance and stability.
|Ms Stephanie Kuan. Supported by Ms Shirley Low and a team of volunteered Yoga practitioners.|
6 Apr 2019
|2.30pm - 4.00pm||
Dementia: Through the Lens of Occupational Therapy
In this session, Matthew will share some simple cognitive training for persons with dementia to maintain personal support and self-esteem through daily living activities.
|Matthew Teo Yong Chang is currently an Occupational Therapy lecturer with Perdana University.|
13 Apr 2019
|2.30pm - 4.00pm||
Chair Exercise – A Fitness Workout
Chair exercises are beneficial for persons with impaired and limited mobility, the elderly and persons with dementia. Just like standing exercises, chair exercises follow the 4 phases, ie: warmup, stretching, conditioning and cool down.
|Facilitated by Puan Kesumah Salleh and her team from the U3A KL & Selangor. The team has been conducting the chair fitness exercise workouts at the Geriatric Ward of the University Malaysia Medical Centre (UMMC or PPUM), Malaysia's premier hospital and medical school.|
REGISTRATION IS FREE
We welcome you to join our weekend health talks and yoga exercises. Admission is free. However, we do encourage registration for logistics purposes.
Please e-mail [email protected] with your details as follows:
1. Full name(s)
2. Mobile contact number(s)
3. Indicate whether you are a family caregiver or attending for self-knowledge
4. If you are a caregiver, please indicate to whom you are caring for (e.g. mother/husband/etc)
For further enquiries, do call or WhatsApp: 010-361 9125.
• If you are at the Atria Community Corner with your dementia-loved ones, please ensure that you are with them at all times.
• Do bring a shawl or cardigan as the central air-conditioning can be quite cold.
• Please do bring socks for the Yoga sessions.
• No food are allowed. This is to keep the premises clean and to adhere to Atria house rules.