The Atria Community Corner was launched in September 2017 in conjunction with World Alzheimer’s Month. It is a joint community initiative of the Atria Shopping Gallery (Atria) under its CSR programme and the Alzheimer’s Disease Foundation Malaysia (ADFM).
With this collaboration, Atria is aspiring to be the first dementia-friendly community mall in Malaysia aimed at:
• raising greater awareness of Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementia; and
• providing information and support to the neighbourhood communities around Damansara Jaya and its vicinity.
Located at Lot T03 on the Third Floor (two doors from Daiso), the Atria Community Corner is open daily from 11am to 7pm. All health, nutrition & wellbeing talks, activities and information leaflets provided at the Atria Community Corner are free.
June 2019 Activities
2, 9, 16, 23, and 30 June 2019
|10.30am - 11.30am||
Weekly Elder Yoga Exercise
For Caregivers and Persons with Dementia, Senior Citizens and their families.
Regular yoga practice helps people of all age groups including the elderly. For the seniors, regular yoga practice can play an important part in keeping you healthy, because it helps to:
- reduce swelling in joints;
- increase joint mobility and strength;
- improve balance and stability.
|Ms Stephanie Kuan. Supported by Ms Shirley Low and a team of volunteered Yoga practitioners.|
15 June 2019
|2.30pm - 4.00pm||
“Physiotherapy in Dementia and Fall Prevention”
In this session, Physiotherapist, Mr Gan Yee Jie and Ms Hakimi Salima will share with you on: (1) The Roles of Physio in Dementia; (2) Physio management in dementia, and (3) conduct Fall Risk Assessment- to identify causes of fall.
|Mr Gan Yee Jie obtained his BSc in Physiotherapy from the University of Northumbria, UK. He specializes in managing Geriatric and Stroke. Ms Hakimah Salimi obtained her BSc in Physiotherapy from the University of Anglia Ruskin, London. She specializes in managing Sport Injury.|
22 June 2019
|2.30pm - 4.00pm||
“Laughter Yoga (LY)” Session
Laughter Yoga, developed by Indian Physician Dr Madan Kagtria in 1995, is being practised globally in over 100 countries. Laughter Yoga combines with interactive laughter exercise with deep breathing and calming movements is scientifically proven a powerful tool that reduces stress and makes people happier, energetic, releasing emotional baggage, bringing out the inner child and more.
|Deborah Rodrigo graduated as a Laughter Yoga Leader in 2015 and a Certified Teacher in 2017. She set up her own Laughter Yoga Club where her participants are from all walks of life from the youngest aged four years old to eighty years old.|
29 June 2019 (Sat)
|2.30pm - 4.00pm||
Chair Fitness Exercise is a seated exercise workout (sitting on a chair) for those with limited mobility, persons with Alzheimer’s and Dementia and the elderly, accompanied by their Caregivers.
|Puan Kesumah Salleh and her Team who has been conducting this exercise at the Geriatric Ward of PPUM.|
REGISTRATION IS FREE
We welcome you to join our weekend health talks and yoga exercises. Admission is free. However, we do encourage registration for logistics purposes.
Please e-mail [email protected] with your details as follows:
1. Full name(s)
2. Mobile contact number(s)
3. Indicate whether you are a family caregiver or attending for self-knowledge
4. If you are a caregiver, please indicate to whom you are caring for (e.g. mother/husband/etc)
For further enquiries, please call or WhatsApp Bee Lan at 010-361 9125.
• If you are at the Atria Community Corner with your dementia-loved ones, please ensure that you are with them at all times.
• Do bring a shawl or cardigan as the central air-conditioning can be quite cold.
• Please do bring socks for the Yoga sessions.
• No food are allowed. This is to keep the premises clean and to adhere to Atria house rules.